LARGE HIGHWAY BRIDGES AT D1 BETWEEN PRAGUE AND BRNO

 

Most significant highway constructions are bridges. At the original 1940‘s routing of 86 kms of the highway between Prague and Humpolec were planned 10 large bridges and a number of smaller bridges, underpasses, overpasses and other objects.

Out of 10 large bridges, 5 were in various phases of construction in 1940’s. 3 of them were preserved up today. Only 1 serves its purpose at today’s D1.

 
 
 Dálniční most přes údolí Šmejkalky u Senohrab
 

Positioning: Originally 21,0 km, today’s D1 23,90 km.

Original Šmejkalka bridge by Senohraby was being built by construction company „Dr.K.Skorkovský“ in 1939-42 and 1945-50. The bridge was designed by Mr.Bechyně, one of the famous Czech civil engineers. It is the largest bridge of its time – 250 m long with arch span 120 m.Construction was fairly finished in 1950 except insulation of roadway.  

The bridge was after reinforcement and installation of new guard rails used for today’s D1. In 1990 was reconstructed, original steelconcrete railing was replaced by steel one and the bridge lost its observation balconies.

The Šmejkalka Bridge is witness of 65 years Czech higway engineering heritage and remembers lead that was lost due to World War II and Cold War.

 
fotogallery
 
 Most přes údolí Sedlického potoka
 

Positioning: Originally 59,10 km, today off the D1routing.

Original bridge over Sedlický stream by Borovsko was under construction at KM 59 of the highway between 1939-42 and 1945-50. Construction commenced in July 1939 by civil engineering company „ing. J. Domanský. Planned budget was 5.552.400,- crowns. The bridge was finsihed at the end of 1950 and formally approved by authorities in 1952. However, highway construction was suspended in 1950’s, rampart at southern end was never finished and the bridge was abandoned.

1960’s brought a new hope for the Borovsko Bridge and Czech highways. At the same time, project of the new large drinking water reservoir for Prague was under consideration. Maiden nature provided high quality of water but huge artificial lake was to flood a number of valleys including those two where the Borovsko Bridge and smaller neighbouring  Sedmpanský Bridge were situated.

Various scenarios were being examined. One of them was reducing  the lake size  but the city of Prague requested millions of litres of drinking water. The other option was hydroinsulation of the bridge construction – but this approach was almost as costly as building a new bridge not considering the cost of water protection in case of accident etc.

Finally, decision was made to bypass the valley and to build completely new bridge a few hundreds of metres southwards. The dam is in operation since 1976 and this sector of D1highway since 1977.

The Borovsko Bridge and the Sedmpanský Bridge were abandoned as well as the routing of a few kilometres  westwards and eastwards from the bridges‘ location.

Today, huge spans of the Borovsko Bridge are flooded almost up to the roadway. The bridge rests unseen in the middle of forrests of the Bohemian-Moravian Highland as the whole lake district is forbidden area and entry is strictly prohibited due to water reservoir protection.

 
fotogallery
 
 Most přes Želivku u Píště
 

Positioning: Originally 74,50 km, today’s D1 76,50 km.

Construction of original 138 m long bridge over the valley of the Želivka River by Píšt´commenced in 1939 by civil engineering company „Ing. Brázdil & Dr. Ješ“. Works had to be stopped in 1942 and were resumed in 1945.

The bridge was almost finished at the end of 1950. Last field at the eastern end was to be concreted . Steel reinforcement were already placed but concrete was never laid down in spring 1951.

When highway plans were revisited in mid of 1960’s, highway standards were increased. Original routing requested steep descent at both sides of the bridge. Also the bridge itself would have to be widened. The only reasonable solution was a new bridge. However, narrow rocky bill didn’t provide enough space for two bridges next to each other. Also dismantling of the old bridge would raise the cost.

Finally, very clever solution has been selected. Right next to four old pillars were erected four new tall narrow pillars which carried new steel bridge above the old one. At the old bridge, last field has been concreted and the bridge was used for local road from Hořice to Vojslavice. Local road is using southern half of the roadway – the one that was originally destined for highway direction from Prague to Brno.

The two-storey bridge of Píšt‘ is a perfect example that old construction don’t have to be always pulled down when they don’t meet today’s requirements. Both bridges are so close and still 30 years away from each other.

 
fotogallery

 
autor © Tomáš Janda, 8. listopadu 2002.
autor english version © Martin Panský, 26.8.2006.
poslední změny na stránce: 26. října 2008